Thursday 5 July 2012

Hidden Gems

This Sunday my family church is hosting its 2nd  Holy Hungry Artists event in which we celebrate the talents of local hidden artists be it a painter, a photographer, a singer, a crafter or a baker, all are given the spotlight on this special night. There are so many people just in our local city with so much skill and talent that never see the light because they are either not given the opportunity to explore that talent or because they are afraid of either the pains of production or of the finished product itself. I, myself, am afraid of both but this weekend I will be one of the people presenting my creations for the first time to the general public. I am doing so because I am afraid to. I have always been afraid of 'doing things wrong' and looking silly but I am trying this new thing called "believing that I am special and have God-given talents" that were given to be used. 


It seems fitting I think to correlate this with the hidden gems of Christ's kingdom (ahem, us, again). The potential evangelists, the counsellors, the missionaries, the Sunday School teachers, the prayer warriors, the Church leaders who are afraid of that tiny nudge from God towards a certain path that we all too often shy away from. You know, that nudge that gives you that strange feeling in your chest and belly resemblant to the need to eliminate something. Gross I know, but it's a good metaphor because that feeling may perhaps be a need to eliminate your fears and follow God's leading despite what the pains of production may be or what the actual outcome may be. The important thing is that you listened to God and you utilized the gifts that He gave you. 


So explore your hidden gifts, He gave them to you for a reason and gifts are given to be used not to be hidden away in a closet collecting dust (that would be an insult to any gift-giver). And while your at it, come support our artists' hidden or not-so-hidden talents this Sunday at the Older Adult Centre in the basement of Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga. Items may be sold, donations may be given (we are collecting goods for the Open Door) and missionaries may be assisted!


We all need encouragement and nurturing to cultivate and thrive in our fields!



No comments:

Post a Comment